To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most essential tales delivered to your inbox daily at Three p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Good morning, you great specimens of humanity! It’s Friday, and I’m penning this from the hammock in my sunny North Oakland backyard, so life ain’t all that dangerous. (I can solely assume that WFH stands for Work From Hammock).
This weekend, earmark a little bit of time to use to our Startup Battlefield 200. It offers you the prospect to exhibit your startup free of charge at TechCrunch Disrupt in October and win the $100,000 prize. Functions shut August 5, so get cracking!
Have a great one, and see you subsequent week! — Haje
The TechCrunch Prime 3
Startups and VC
It’s all go, go, go on this planet of insurance coverage. Mary Ann reviews that Lemonade acquired Metromile and promptly laid off about 20% of its workers. Is smart, in fact, in a world the place there’s in all probability a good quantity of administrative and operational overlap between the 2 corporations, nevertheless it’s all the time unhappy to say goodbye to beloved colleagues.
And don’t miss Aria’s piece about how the Exploration Firm is creating a brand-new reusable orbital spacecraft. “The [space] exploration ecosystem goes to alter dramatically within the in all probability subsequent 10 to 15 years,” co-founder and CEO Hélène Huby defined. “When you make it occur, you could have an enormous benefit of being one of many first out there.”
A number of extra nuggets to take you into the weekend:
- Taking the enjoyable out of the whole lot: A startup is charging $1.99 to put in writing strings to feed into platforms like DALL-E, and I despair for humanity. Come on, that’s half the enjoyable! No thanks in any respect to Kyle for making me seethe with confused anger this afternoon. Jerk.
- Making it rain down in Africa: Zedcrest Capital, a agency recognized for its debt and fairness capital markets investments however who not too long ago began dabbling in enterprise investments, has launched a $10 million “emergency fund” for African startups, geared toward pre-Sequence A stage corporations, Tage reviews.
- Driving classes for industrial autos: Polymath Robotics launches to convey plug-and-play autonomy software program to any industrial car, Kirsten reviews.
- The extra you study: You recognize what, I’ve by no means learn considered one of Devin’s articles that didn’t make me go, “Huh! I didn’t know that!” At the moment, Shinkei Programs’ AI-guided fish harvesting robotic gave me that second of enjoyment.
All my apes gone: Authorized disputes on the intersection of IP and NFTs
When Andy Warhol appropriated photos of Campbell’s Soup in 1962, he was fortunate: For a bunch of causes, the corporate determined to not sue him for infringing its trademark.
One wonders how the state of affairs would have performed out 60 years later if Warhol had minted a sequence of NFTs with the long-lasting soup labels, nevertheless.
In her newest TC+ publish, CORPlaw founder Kristen Corpion examined “essentially the most fascinating and essential IP authorized points which can be at present impacting the creation, switch and use of NFTs,” together with trademark infringement, the primary sale doctrine and why Seth Inexperienced ended up paying a $100,000 premium to purchase again his stolen Bored Ape.
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You possibly can join right here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
It’s by no means gonna offer you up. It’ll make an effort to by no means allow you to down. It in all probability gained’t run round and desert you. However TikTok could also be contemplating a music service, report Aisha and Ivan in an article that sadly falls in need of the necessary quota of musical puns. Don’t fear, of us, I’ll speak to her about it.
In the meantime, Annie reviews that Kenya is considering giving Fb a smack with the ban-hammer, after the nation’s Nationwide Cohesion and Integration Fee finds that the social media platform isn’t doing sufficient to filter out hate speech.
- Is multimedia coming to Twitter?: Appears just like the social media platform is testing letting you publish photos, movies, and GIFs all in the identical tweet, Ivan reviews.
- We don’t need your steeenking adverts: Roku misses the mark on its quarterly outcomes, and blames promoting slowdown for arising brief, Lauren reviews.
- Financial institution steadiness goes down, shares go up: Amazon reported its earnings and ran at a $2 billion loss. Looks as if stonks love that type of factor, as a result of the share worth went up, reviews Lauren.
- For you, particular worth. For you, it’s double: Twitter Blue will get a worth hike from $2.99 to $4.99 per thirty days, reviews Ivan.
- The place do you are taking somebody after a “peekaboo” accident? To ICU: Instagram just about copied BeReal for its Twin digicam function, however kinda missed the purpose alongside the way in which, Amanda explains.
- Is there something they’ll’t do?: Video memes, possibly music quickly (see above) and now TikTok begins testing HTML5 minigames with a handful of companions, Sarah reviews.