- Gentle is a startup that creates merchandise designed to assist fight smartphone dependancy.
- The corporate launched its first product, the Gentle Cellphone, in 2017. Now it is again with the second iteration, the Gentle Cellphone 2.
- The unique Gentle Cellphone might solely make and obtain cellphone calls, however the second model has some further options: alarms and texting.
- “5 years in the past once we began, folks did not perceive. ‘Why are you making a easy cellphone? What is the level?'” Kai Tang, a Gentle cofounder, informed Enterprise Insider. “Particularly final yr, we are able to sense the tide modified.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
In 2020, we’re concurrently extra hooked up to our smartphones than ever earlier than and extra conscious of how hooked up we’re to our smartphones.
For many people, it is grow to be one thing of an anxiety-inducing loop: open Instagram or Twitter or Reddit, get sucked in, notice how lengthy we have been on mentioned app, put the cellphone down, get a notification, repeat.
That loop is what the creators of the Gentle Cellphone 2 are hoping to get rid of.
The Light Phone 2, which debuted final yr and prices $350 (it is on sale proper now for $300), is the successor to Gentle’s original device from 2017. It is type of just like the anti-smartphone, or perhaps a Swiss Military knife: It is a device, slightly than a device for distraction. It does just a few issues (calls, texts, alarms) and has zero apps — no e mail, no social media, no music or video streaming, nothing.
This is how Gentle received its inspiration for the Gentle Cellphone and what the corporate’s “dumb cellphone” can do.